Thursday, October 14, 2004

50% of Americans don't support Bush the liberal bashing bully, and that matters

I can't begin to tell you how insulted I feel when the president dismisses liberalism as something wrong. It's shaming, something I believe that no one should ever do to someone who has a different opinion based on good principles or innocent emotion. It's bad enough when radio DJs and TV talking heads treat it like a disease, but today I heard the president attacking his opponent just because he is a liberal, as if that was enough to discredit him (and me)--nevermind progressive American history. People in the audience laughed and smirked, sharing in the president's ridicule. To me, he's a bully--I would never call Bush a uniter (or a conservative for that matter). Neither would I ridicule or laugh or dismiss someone for just being a conservative, and I expect the same respect from my peers as well as my president. It matters that 50% of the population doesn't feel like he's their president, but he doesn't seem to think so.

No comments: