Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dividing Feminists

Wow, I'm just in shock. Of course, I am one of those "men" who believes "not this woman." Does NY NOW think that critics of Margaret Thatcher are really misogynists underneath? Please. Did official feminism regress to adolescence in the past two decades?

In my college in the 1990s, there were competing types of feminism. One was historically angry, bomb-throwing, and segregating, and the other was based on human morality, empathy and understanding. I liked both in different ways and for different purposes (sadly, the first one put many of my friends off of feminism so they never discovered the second option or a combination thereof); but what I really liked about the empathetic version was that it didn't use GUILT to persuade people that women are equal and valuable. That "Carol Gilligan" kind of feminism preached acceptance.

When Hillary Clinton made her cookies comment years ago, it showed me (and a lot of non-feminist women) that she didn't accept some women's choices (or perhaps didn't see us as having choices). As an educated artist and stay-at-home mom, either view of women is still abhorrent to me; and simply does not reflect mainstream American attitudes. Today, girls and women are expected to do anything men can do, in school, in work, in the military. This is quite different from the country where I was born; England still has well-defined roles for women and men. So this type of accusation against mostly American men (and women like myself, really) is Clinton/Bush-style politics, folks. Slice and dice...I'm through with that.

Peace, your raging feminist.

No comments: