Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The Bible

So I started reading Genisis because of my curiosity about Judaism and angels. Are there angels in the Tanakh? Yes, they help destory Sodom and Gomorrah during Abraham's time. But it is actually cherubim (my husband and I believe that this is plural) that are posted outside the gate of the Garden of Eden, with the flaming sword. The bible doesn't get any cooler than that for me.

Anyway, it doesn't take very long to run into a moral crisis when you start reading the bible. So according to Genesis, God says that man has the responsibility to kill men who kill other men (I find this extremely problematic). God also doesn't mind when Lot makes his daughters pregnant (actually, they got him drunk so Lot was pretty clueless about the whole thing). So thus far, Genesis' God looks pretty nuts to me.

How anyone can "live by the book," especially THIS book, shocks me. I think of Bush saying, "I look for a strict interpretation of the text" with a judge. Wow, that's easy...interpretation is so, well, gray matter.

Peace.

No comments: