Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Artist's Way

I'm a painter and I just started a "cluster" group run by an experienced therapist (who tries to keep us from insulting one another) inspired by the book The Artist's Way. It's quite extraordinary to go through the exercises that basically bring out the self-critic and critical monsters from your past (I didn't think I had any monsters, but they were deeply buried).

In a group, other people's examples make you realize how universal and unique you are. The book's exercises also affirm the good things that have happened to you as a creative type. Atheists might have a hard time with the God language--but I believe that it's good for one's ego, and real, to place enormous power in something outside of yourself (life).

Most of all, thinking about these issues (artist blocks) makes me realize that when you're creative, it's okay to be seen as stark raving mad. That's profoundly freeing for me.

1 comment:

Valley Dude said...

stark raving mad,eh?? I think you are so crazy too!! That's what I love about you!!!! XXXOOO