Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why Now?

The paranoid corrupted Christian militia group that was arrested Saturday had leaders about my age. They were 45 and 44, respectively.

Yesterday, I was considering how, for the most part, my generation has escaped serving in a war. I have one friend in the Air Force in South Korea, another is a national guard member who serves in law enforcement in Missouri. Neither have been to Iraq or Afghanistan, whose soldiers are our young generation, boomer's children and sometimes our children.

I know that most of the Tea Party activists are boomers, still grinding out a battle with the hippies that they hated in the 1960s. Even Jon Yoo at Berkeley is still fighting that fight with his rhetoric. But he is my age, the oldest child of the youngest boomers.

I believe that he, and the militia group in Michigan, are on the same page in that they have an abstract view of life and war.

This separation from the real horrors of war and cruel death allow both a civilian policy of torture for the unrepresented accused and a plot to kill innocent American policeman. It seems so departed from human rationality because it is.






No comments: