Monday, February 04, 2008

The Healthcare Debate

Who are these mythical healthy people who can afford health insurance but don't buy it? And if they are choosing to take this stupid, possibly expensive gamble, why is it unfair to have penalties for those who don't buy in at the registration time when they could afford it?

I think I went without health insurance for a few months in my life after college, and it was because I couldn't afford $200/mo for an HMO. I was constantly scared that I'd have an accident or health emergency and get hit with hospital bills. I don't even know these financially secure risk-takers personally; do you?

Paul Krugman simultaneously defines them as irresponsible "gamers" that will avoid Obama's plan (unlikely considering Dean's argument that employers will enroll people and there will be subsidies, and that government plan...), and then as "victims" of Obama's penalty plan.

Krugman has it out for Obama, doesn't he?

No comments: