Saturday, February 12, 2005

Changing Minds, One at a Time; and the Anti-Christ

Ahh, an optimist who uses the lessons of American history to imagine a change in U.S. opinion. Why am I not comforted? I have childhood friends who voted for Bush that I cannot bring myself to talk with today. I am so frustrated and absolutely stunned that they could support a single policy that he has instituted. I cannot think of one healthy, peace-loving, non-greedy thing that he has attempted or accomplished--and it pains me to think that my college-educated, female, conservative friends either support or are ignorant of these facts. It bothers me a lot as my husband and I bring another child into this dangerous world--we want those around him to model a love of truth, justice, personal responsibility, as well as social and self-awareness. My liberal friend and I told our conservative friends the truth about Bush and his administration in the best ways we could, but we had a very hard time "changing minds." We didn't. After the election my liberal friend was so angry that she courageously said that our friends had blood on their hands. I agreed with her, but stayed silent about it, not wanting to spread shame in order to persuade my friends to see things my way. The shame should blossom in themselves, and maybe I'm just waiting for that to happen...

t r u t h o u t - Howard Zinn | Changing Minds, One at a Time

The Anti-Christ

Bush's policies are the reverse of my Judeo-Christian world view. I don't believe there was a Christ (son of God), but no one represents the anti-Christ (anti-Jesus) to me better than George Bush's actions. Everything he does helps the "money-changers," the only people Christ raged at! Everything he does turns away from Christ's compassionate, "teach a man to fish," and non-judgemental lessons. Literally, one has to provide a teacher and healthy fish in order for that parable to work in life. Bush has no interest in really teaching our population how to live better (especially in regard to the truth and his economic policies), nor does he show any interest in preserving our environment for healthy fish! He's too busy hanging out in the temple of money-changers, a total greedy fake who tells people that he's a friend of Christ. Logically, the anti-Christ would distort Christ's legacy. He would say "I am a Christian" while he works for the devils in our time.

No comments: