Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Promote Choice

This is a very good thing to read about the politics and social need for equality for women, which INCLUDES abortion rights: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/articles/040723_kirk.html

I wrote to Planned Parenthood about their T-shirt, I think they are in a bit of denial about how it expresses abortion. Yet, although I disagree with this item of expression, I support that organization full heartedly. Here is the letter I wrote on July 27th:

Dear Planned Parenthood,

I am pro-choice. I owe your organization a lot. You've helped me
throughout my teen and adult life. I am so saddened that you are marketing
a t-shirt that announces that the wearer has had an abortion.

I would like to know your rationale.

It makes Planned Parenthood's policy toward abortion reflect a casual
attitude of indifference to the pain and trauma--physical psychological and
spiritual--an abortion involves. It suggests a cynicism toward life, toward
religion, toward choice, toward women.

Please withdraw this t-shirt. Every year I consider organizations to make
charitable contributions toward. I cannot support organizations that appear
to treat the issue of abortion so callously.

Abortion is a necessary right and a key factor in women's health; it is not
a joke, a boast, or something to openly celebrate. There is no getting
around the fact that pregnancy involves a woman's body and health, just as
there is no getting around the fact that a human life comes to an end. It
is not something that people should feel ashamed of, yet women do feel grief
and sometimes shame.

We must confront opponents of abortion with an attitude of compassion for
women--not an attitude of unfeeling confrontation.

No comments: