Wednesday, August 25, 2004

If you agree with me you are a Great American

No, I don't actually believe that, I believe that there are great Americans who disagree with me. My conservative friend in Ohio is one of them. I'm making the point though, that many wingnut conservative radio hosts are greeting their call-in cheerleaders with this greeting, "You are a great American." I can't help but think that they are implying that every lefty is not--or at least--anyone who might disagree with them is not.

I threw a fit on Sunday when I watched a Republican Congressman being absolutely rude to a Democratic Congressman on Meet the Press. The R actually questioned the credibility of the Dem sitting right next to him just because they had a difference of opinion about the Governor of New Jersey. It was so tacky and rude. It became so clear to me that this is the Republican technique:

If you do not agree with me on X or Y, I will do everything in my power to discredit you and your world view.

This is what's happening with the Swift Boat liars, this is what they tried with McCain (and we'll see it again if McCain runs against a future Bushie friend--don't anyone wonder exactly why McCain is supporting his former nemesis Bush NOW), and that is what they did to Max Cleland, and Ann Coulter and her ilk do EVERY DAY.

Discrediting opponents has nothing to do with a healthy debate and progress on issues that matter--it has to do with gaining or retaining power.

Debate and nationwide improvements are obviously obscure conservative values these days.

No comments: