Sunday, July 27, 2008

America's thirst for the violent and morbid...

We saw X-files last night and I was hoping for aliens, but I got spiritual pedophiles, horrifying stalkers of and imprisonment of women, morbid body part scenarios, and a few depressing stories thrown in, including a dying child and already dead child (the last narrative was completely over the top!). I'm not saying it was a bad movie, it held together as a story, but it was horrifying, disgusting and cruel. I seem to remember the X-files being spooky, creepy and FUN. Not f-ing depressing and gruesome. I left thinking that Chris Carter must have been influenced by CSI, which I can't stomach either (and may actually be worse, I don't know). And before the movie we got the History channel's advertisement for CGI graphics of dinosaurs killing each other like we've never seen, complete with blood squirting on to the screen for us. Ugh!

I have a three year old and a baby boy, and right now I'm learning how much affection means for their health, and for us, actually. Hugs actually change our brain chemistry to make us feel good about ourselves. I just don't understand the lust for violence, gore and horror in our entertainment. Sex, yes, more love and beauty please.

Peace.

6 comments:

Vigilante said...

OT: Where's the pink in your site? What is this faded yellow? Bring back the pink!

Pink Liberty said...

I'll consider it. I had a friend (who can be a bonehead) tell me that he wouldn't read a "pink" blog. My husband just informed me that he didn't know this and is urging me to change it back (it's his friend after all), okay...

Vigilante said...

I love pink.

Vigilante said...

Pink is so ....URBANE!

Valley Dude said...

I love the pink too... :-) I can't believe my knuckleheaded friend even said such a thing. Sheesh.

enigma4ever said...

I love the DON"T TREAD ON ME flag..very cool....about X FILES...wow...this is the first review I have read and it is dissappointing...sad really...hmmm...

( I used to love the show- but this sounds kind of dark and ghoulish...)