Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Progressive loyalties vs. Being Right

Fox "news" and other media are having fun pointing out how liberals are attacking each other. It's so great for them since they pretty much stand in lockstep loyalty except when somebody might be publicly outed as gay (or bisexual).

This begs the question; How important is it to undermine a person's good message with a personal attack? I don't think you can get more personal that what a person eats. How does PETA know that Gore doesn't get his meat from a small, local farmer or hunters? He's from Tennessee and I'm from Missouri and I know that's easy to do--wealthy or not--all you need is a big freezer.

I've often criticized politicians for some imperfection that I'd like "righted," and I'm now rethinking that line of thinking. I will ask myself, "How important is this issue?" Granted, PETA is right that meat production is a huge environmental problem, but I think they could have negotiated with Gore to get his help with that message, say praising vegetarian lifestyles, rather than asking for a conversion and then attacking him personally--yuk.

Peace

3 comments:

Sapo said...

I soured on PETA when the came out.

I think people should become vegetarian but I don't believe in bullying good people like Al Gore this way.

We're al hypocrites in one way or another. The holier than thou attitude of Newkirk gets tiresome very quickly.

I've been giving more support to the Humane Society these days [decided to not shop via Amazon until they stop selling the cockfighting magazines].

Sapo said...

Ooops. That should say, when the stripper video came out.

Pink Liberty said...

Wow, I've been clueless that PETA's been exploiting the human body, especially women's bodies, to save animal bodies. I'm not sure I follow the logic in that except that I'm sure they think it's for the greater good and brings lots of attention to their cause. I think the combination of emotions experienced by the titillation/guilt video is rather strange and unproductive, though. We don't usually take strippers seriously and I think the decision to be a committed vegetarian is very often a combination of very focused abstract thinking (the decision not to eat meat usually goes AGAINST our physical natures/desires/cravings) and often with a strong sense of spirituality (I guess PETA's appeal to sexuality could enter in there, but probably not through stripping for an audience of millions...).