Thursday, March 22, 2007

1984 ad

When I saw this anti-Hillary ad last night I was really attuned to it and felt the gestalt of it very personally. San Franciso Chronicle I have had no access to Hillary, have been frustrated by her statements, have dropped my 2 cents into the well of e-mail "responses" and an internet site that is massive, manipulated and controlled (compare that site to John Edwards wild ride of personal expression, with at least a conversation occuring between peers, and a meritocracy competition of blog posts which I'm proud to have succeeded in) that as far as I can tell, does not even offer a SEARCH function. This on top of my impression that she is so full of liberal rhetoric yet so short on groundbreaking, revolutionary policy substance that my gut curdles when I think she could be the Democratic nominee. The only thing that holds my head above water is that she would probably appoint competant government officials--which is better than what we have now, but seems to fall way short of the radical repositioning our domestic policies need, and our country needs to find peace in this world of ours; and to literally survive on this overheated planet. So, yeah, I get that ad, viscerally.

BUT

Where was that ad when Bush was running for office in 2004? Why wasn't the fascism revealed there?? It's truly incredible that this appropriate analogy has been conflated with a DEMOCRAT!!!! Why is the hatred and vitriol and anger and political brilliance saved for OUR side of the aisle when there is at least some nod, however weak, to advancing what we ACTUALLY care about? I know, it's what Freud said, but WOW, it stinks. It does put Obama in a tough spot. Even if he speaks the truth, it sounds pat.

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

I wish for the day with the truth sounds pat. In these days, when one hears the truth, it is always a novelty. I agree with you: I would enthusiastically vote for Hill in the general election. But I will vote in the primary for Obama and dare her to beat him. BTW, my heart and hat to the Edwards today!