Saturday, January 20, 2007

I'm a vegaquarian

I'm being true to my intentions and am only posting good political news, and wow, there's nothing like the personal becoming political when one restricts their diet to certain animals. One look at Wikipedia and I got primer on the politics of calling myself a vegetarian. Lest a purer vegetarian be offered a plate of fish against their will, I will forever call myself a vegaquarian until there is a more established term (if that's not it).

So I suddenly realized that we've just banked our family's health on wild fish and in today's natural environment that seems like a risky, perhaps short-lived idea. And yes, Science magazine reported that all the world's wild fisheries could die by 2050, but check THIS good news out:

"The [Monteray Bay] aquarium also works with major seafood buyers to help shift their purchases to sustainable seafood items. In just the last year, companies including retailing giant Wal-Mart and Compass Group North America, the largest contract food service company in the western hemisphere, have announced plans to buy only seafood from sustainable sources."

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Hallelujah!

2 comments:

Vigilante said...

Thanks for posting this, Pinks. I've already started an email chain for the link.

Pink Liberty said...

Thanks! I signed up to be an advocate for their info.