Saturday, November 20, 2004

Why the right's vindictiveness is a sham

Shortly after I woke up this morning my husband informed me that there's a wingnut campaign to have a constitutional amendment to ban abortion, AFTER the Supreme Court overturns Roe (the amendment is wanted to stop states from allowing abortion). I started fuming at the lengths these people will go to in order to prevent women from controling their lives and health. I got a sense of how gays feel about the anti-gay marriage amendment. Why are gays who want to marry and women who need abortions our nation's biggest problems? It's as if people need a target to point to, a scapegoat, to say, "YOU are a bigger sinner than me--shame on you--God's light shines on me!" This is so ANTI-CHRISTIAN! Abortion and gay lifestyles are private issues that effect no one's neighbor.

"The right" doesn't want people to be good. They don't want to provide the lighted path, the adoption path, the birth control path, the healthy economy, or the healthy relationship paths that prevent abortions. They'd rather force women to kill themselves giving birth or inducing illegal abortions (as they used to). They don't want gays to have healthy, bonded relationships that are sanctified in marriage. Instead, they encourage gays to be hidden and promiscuous--hedonists.

This makes no sense to me!

Abortions should be legal, safe and RARELY needed. Gay marriage is simply a move toward good behavior (as much as any straight marriage is).

And again I ask, why can't "the right" get their minds around the idea that God may have actually created evolution? Isn't that the ultimate "intelligent design?"

These angry "you're the sinner" people and creationists will puzzle me until my death.


No comments: