Friday, November 16, 2007

I'll wait for the right woman to break that glass ceiling

My husband just reminded me of what Thurgood Marshall said about Clarence Thomas:
Shortly before he died, in 1993, he warned against "picking the wrong Negro," adding "there's no difference between a white snake and a black snake. They'll both bite...."

Last night, Barack Obama correctly showed how Hillary Clinton's argument about not raising taxes was exactly the kind of number twisting that we could expect from a Republican. Do you know any Firemen who make over 100K? They should, but even if such a situation does exist (in her part of the country, I guess) it still puts Mr. Fireman in the top 6% of Americans, and as Obama made clear, that is not the Middle Class.

Today it appears that the elite on the left in this country, including bloggers, are going with Hillary's answer over Obama's, her first response was "That's a tax increase." Hi Ms. Republican--you're equally comfortable sheltering America's top 6%!!

I hear no substance from Hillary Clinton that makes me think her policies are going to be any less hawkish than the neo-cons (e.g. her recent vote on Iran, and her defense contractor lobbying money), or any more economically progressive than Margaret Thatcher (she has all kinds of multi-national corporate support). I quite suspect that she will be very militaristic and in favor of privatizing any number of social programs (Medicare, Social Security, schools, etc.). Her universal healthcare proposal sounds just like No Child Left Behind; a federal mandate without funding.

The only reasons I find people justifying their support for her is because of 1) Bill Clinton; 2) Bill Clinton's cabinet and staff 3) Breaking the ultimate "glass ceiling" 4) She gets along with Republicans and they might vote for her (isn't that nice that they like her now?!

These are the liberals, like Hillary, who think that getting along with others is the most important value we have; never mind that other important principles have been subsumed by this one and that conservatives don't honor "getting along with others" at all.

Peace.

I'll add another reason to paragraph 5, 5) The person supporting her is IN the upper 6% of income earners/inheritors.

3 comments:

Vigilante said...

Pinks, this is an excellent essay, connecting many dots, and is generative of new ideas for me. I might feel obliged to quote it in the column it's inspiring. Seriously!

LET'S TALK said...

I came by to say Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and be safe!

Vigilante said...

I echo the comment above.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, is what I want to say, hoping that all your readers observe the holiday to some degree. I've never traveled, so I don't have an appreciation as to how American-centric this holiday is. Of the many things I am thankful for, it's the Internet, which affords our generation (and hopefully those to follow) an opportunity to discuss frivolous and not so frivolous matters across national boundaries. Previous generations did not have this medium, and suffered greatly for the lack thereof. Our generation bears the responsibility of using this technology for the peace and betterment of all of us. Thus, I am thankful for this opportunity.