Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gender and humility

I've never read a comprehensive biological study of gender but I'm eager to. I got caught at a mother's meeting last night throwing my son into a stereotype of "male behavior" along with other kids. Ironically, I'm usually the first one to point out that girls can be like boys, and boys like girls, but it was easy to just lump everybody together last night in "defense" of my son's particular personality (highly energetic, not much for the sit-down activities; yet a softie with kittens and manners). This when I have a close friend with a son who will sit through library readings, and a cousin with a girl that runs as fast as my kid.

Anyway, I was reminded in a very kind way that boys and girls overlap in so many ways and traits that it's pointless to assign any trait to their gender...those traits just are. So if I'm ever fighting his elementary school to include more physical activities, I hope I remember this.

Peace.

No comments: