Monday, August 27, 2007

Humor and Politics

I went to blog about an article I read about Obama and found that Gonzales is resigning--finally. But it's not as if the damage hasn't been already been done some of which has actually been vindicated by Congress. So it's the right thing and substantially meaningless at the same time. It's not like Bush fired him. I'm curious to see how everybody spins it, though.

And here is another situation where we could use some humor from our candidates! I was reading GQ's profile of Obama and it was fairly complimentary and honest at the same time. I was thinking that the Democratic candidates I favor could use a big dose of humor when dealing with controversy and attacks!! For instance, Obama gets VERY serious when he is attacked which actually makes him seem "thin-skinned" according to many critics. I never appreciated Ronald Reagan or thought he was a particularly good communicator, he WAS an EMOTIONAL communicator, and that came through very well when he used humor to deflect attacks. It made Reagan seem untouchable, above it all, happy and confident in himself.

Please, Obama, Edwards, lighten up.

3 comments:

Sapo said...

On this topic - this is one book I keep meaning to check out:

The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation by Drew Westen

Here's his advice to Obama:

My advice for his campaign is to let Obama be Obama and don’t crowd his head with position statements. He’s a candidate who knows how to connect with voters and he’s far better on the stump than in a debate, when you can tell he’s been over-prepped.”

http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_REPORT/erarchive/2007/June/June%2025/Westen.htm

Pink Liberty said...

Awesome link, M.D. I came across my first look at this book in the Op Ed of GQ and you drew my attention to the fact that this author works at Emory, a fine institution I myself used to work for and I had close associations with the Poli Sci Dept! Go Emory!

Vigilante said...

Yes, that's sound advice for Obama, all right. He's got what it takes to be a stunning prez, as long as his handlers keep their hands-off. The man is an instinctive winner. All he is, is a single break or two away from being the front runner.