Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Thinking about the debates

I hate to do this because it's such a Republican's dream, but it seems that the weak spots of our candidates, as well as the strengths, showed up the other night. I guess we're the only party that understands that EVERYONE is good and bad.

Hillary:

Rhetorical wizard, has an answer and a spin for everything. Still, she seems to be living in a high-end region of the State of Denial. It's happy there.

Obama:

Beautiful, stunning speaker. I would say earnest but he seemed so bent on having the "right" answer, an often limiting trait I recognize in myself and he compounded it by that follow-up with a memo about how we are less safe, and I worry about his sure-fire nature. I agreed when he said we should see bin Laden as a war target...but then I changed my mind when I actually considered what Kucinich had said. How much better if we did arrest the terrorist and give him the justice our enemies don't give themselves or us: let him sit and rot in jail accused and prosecuted for the murders he has committed; denying our enemies their marytr and he matyrdom.

That would not only be LOGICAL, it would be peace and justice, and a clear step away from the violent policies of war and assassination that our enemies so dearly embrace. Why are we so quick to use war? I would expect more thoughtfulness from Obama on this issue, not just "get him!"

Edwards:

Earnest and on target with the questions and policies, except when he went out to lunch on his "The World in 80 days" during the last question. Doh! Of course we need mandatory healthcare (what's Obama thinking?) and yes, I think 200K is rich enough.

Richardson:

Thoughtful and experienced. I think he did great in this debate except for the Beijing Olympics comment...too Carterish, ouch!! But he's principled and honest! Yes! We should care about Africa! Been there, done that, changed the world, vote for me.

Kucinich:

Right on! He's amazing. Every idea he has could save the world! He's up and ready! He's the most optimistic guy I know! I don't have one negative thing to say. It drives me crazy that the press just eliminates his candidacy. He's got serious fans!

Dodd:

More fun to watch than I ever dreamed. He is classic liberalism defined. What is it about him that keeps him down? His hair? That sense of northeastern intellect? Been there, done that, but don't have much recognition for anything?


My favorites now:

Edwards
Kucinich/Richardson(it's VERY interesting that he's running against Hillary)
Obama

Tonight we wait for the fear-mongering. Do you think we'll flesh out the anti-evolution ideas? Not!

1 comment:

Sapo said...

I left a comment on a C&L post last week and gave exactly those three choices (minus Richardson)!