Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lack of trust

I was about to send a Congressperson a query to find out way they voted to continue our occupation in Iraq. But I was so honest about what I think is really going on in this country that I became worried that people in our government might actually try to silence me somehow--so I didn't send it. That makes me sad.

Congratulations on your win to the Senate. I met you in California and was very impressed by you. However, I am perplexed as to why you voted to continue funding the Iraq occupation. Your explanation makes no rational sense to me. Did you believe that the military will solve this problem? It was my understanding that you saw Iraq as needing only a diplomatic solution, and that Bush hasn't, won't and seemingly, can't succeed at that (and maybe it's too late). That's why our only choice is to LEAVE and save our soldiers from the futile situation we've place them in on our behalf. At this time, I feel like I helped elect men who are only interested in supporting the Military Industrial situation that I believe needs to be radically overhauled, and not our No. 1 industry.

It's like he argues like a progressive, then acts like a Republican. He makes the case to oppose funding, then says, "That is why I'm voting for this." Opposite world.

We worked fairly hard to help get this PA guy elected; he makes a more convincing case for voting for funding, but expects us to place a whole lot of trust in a jr. Congressman's ability to withdraw the troops (albeit if anyone can pull it off, this guy can):

http://sestak.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/pa07_sestak/Background_iraq.shtml

No comments: