Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Newsweek and Cancer

Wow, I really am shocked and saddened but also glad that Newsweek is covering Jonathan Alter's cancer experiences. It is a sobering article that really gave me a small sense of what it means to be diagnosed with cancer. I thought Lance Armstrong's opinion was right on, and I had no idea that the leading cause of cancer in this country is breast cancer (23% breast cancer, 19% prostate cancer). So that tells me that if women try to seek prevention of breast cancer, and men try to seek prevention of prostate cancer, we'll all be better off!! It's my view that fighting any kind of cancer with prevention can stave off many kinds of cancer--Dr. Andrew Weil is a wonderful advocate for prevention. His "8 Weeks to Optimum Health," and "Spontaneous Healing" are life guides for me.

I am also taking my supscripton to the Breast Cancer Awareness website much more seriously. It's amazing how much we have to avoid to keep healthy:

Toxic Plastics found where we'd least expect them

But I'm feeling less like there is a conspiracy against us to kill us all, or control our population, with cancer (it seems like it when I think about Nutrasweet and Don Rumsfeld's connection to it). I seem to have grown this awareness that we have so MUCH, that so many new products are produced and available every day that it is US who have to negotiate their safety. WE have to know where and how our food is farmed, WE have to know what chemicals are toxic in our products. It's a lot of work. In fact, that's enough to do every day of the year. Maybe someday our government will do this for us, but not yet.

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

The two best things we can do for ourselves is (a) get thin and (b), stay thin.