Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Who's Stroking Your Holiday?

I saw that Congress is considering a bill (or resolution?) to protect Christmas, I presume, in the context of Fox News' lovely phrase "the war on Christmas." Oh, the suffering majority! Can we please stop this war because it makes me, someone who's MINORITY religion doesn't celebrate Christmas, feel like an ENEMY of Christmas (which is wrong because I'm a big fan of the mortal Jesus, if anyone remembers him at this time of year...)

Last year I remember people getting offended when the school my niece attends changed their Christmas celebrations to Holiday celebrations. I didn't get the problem since it was a PUBLICLY FUNDED school. Jews got blamed, although I'm not aware of any up there in rural Illinois, when it was apparent to me that the real culprit against "Merry Christmas" was SECULARISM and the wish among many to keep sticky, awkward religion separate from PUBLICLY FUNDED school activities (after all, Christ isn't in Christmas much these days even for Christians, ask the Pope about it).

Why anyone cares which religions Target markets to is beyond me. And a Holiday Tree is a laughable attempt by a seller to market a tree to a larger audience, not to take Christmas out of the picture. So there's another trend that angry Christians might want to fight: opportunistic CAPITALISM! Besides, if you're hankering for a dose of Corporate-Christmas, just walk into any Starbucks and take a deep breath.

Now a bunch of conservative blogs are saying that the U.S. GOVERNMENT Post Office isn't issuing religious stamps (Madonna and Child stamps). First of all, USPS is IN FACT ISSUING MADONNA AND CHILD STAMPS. And second, they ARE ISSUING MADONNA AND CHILD STAMPS. Get yours now!

It seems to me that blogs like these are short on facts and big on fear (try to find a stone cold fact among their paranoid, bleeping threads):
What War Michelle?

And why in the world does "Happy Holidays" make someone angry? Why do you choose to see the cup half empty? Why must everyone and our government stroke YOUR holiday by name?

Merry Christmas!
Happy Chanukah!
Good Kwanza to you!
Happy New Year!
Enjoy the winter solstice (which is truly the basis for this season, and the tree, anyway...HELLO)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can stroke my holiday anytime :-)