Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Boys are better

Ever since I was pregnant with my son people have informed me that boys are easier to raise than girls. It's usually moms that say this--and since we were having a bit of a rough time with our screaming, hardly sleeping baby (in the beginning) it didn't mean a lot to me. And I never thought about the comment as much as I thought about how boys are thought by science to be more emotionally sensitive than girls (Shocker huh? I think that goes in large part to explain why men tend to be more violent--the suppression of emotion in boys).

The other day I ran into a man that said, "Your husband must be so glad to have a son...boys are better." I'm sure you can find such comments among those of all creeds, but let's just say he was an old, traditional man.

Hmmm. That struck me a litte. Boys are better? How do you so easily say that to a woman who used to be a girl?!

I got to thinking. What Mr. Traditional was saying isn't very far from what all the moms have been saying in an indirect way. Why have all these moms being throwing girls under the bus as "hard to raise?"

Let's just say this, people: boys and girls are different, not better. What's more, boys and boys and girls and girls are DIFFERENT!

Best to all parents and those who love children,
Urban Pink

No comments: