Sunday, May 02, 2004

Diet and Floaters

My husband and I are beginning to get floaters before our eyes. We've read that is the result of getting older and the vitreous fluid thins, sometimes creating gelly chunks that cast little shadows that appear as dots or blobs or specs. I can't seem to find a link between floaters and diet, and I find no medicinal recommendation for prevention. This frustrates me. It seems to me that someone out there would know how to keep the vitreous fluids from thinning. Maybe aloe vera juice would help, it's thick, and it works miracles in the body. I wonder if it isn't something in the polluted L.A. environment--I didn't have my floater until I'd lived here nine months. I've also started drinking diet coke or pepsi, which I've never done, which I think might already put me at risk for diabetes, so now I'm thinking that those artifial sweeteners might also contribute to floaters. It's the only unnatural, inorganic (isn't it?) thing we consume!

No comments: