Thursday, August 03, 2006

Maddening debate

I just listened to the second half of a debate between two of L.A.'s leading Jewish and Muslim leaders. Exhausting and circular arguments--and I frankly think that the Muslim came out ahead simply because he kept advocating peace.

I've been on both sides of the Lebanon debate, and now I just don't know enough about it to make a decision. I can say that I hope that there are not thousands of civilian casualties (probably not realistic) and that Israel is effectively taking out Hezbollah. It was a mistake of Lebanon to allow it's borders to become a breeding ground for missiles.

I do know that unless some principled leaders step up in the middle east; leaders that are willing to make sacrifices (why did we force Palestine to have an election when Abas was a good leader?) we're never going to stop warring there.

Lebanon is actually the least of the issues that remain there.

No comments: