Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Why I feel good about voter registration fraud

At first, I was outraged by stories like this (in Nevada last time), and granted, I'm still furious that a company allegedly ripped up all their Democratic registration forms and hope that those people will be allowed to vote, but I was reflecting on the truth.

When my husband and I registered voters in CA and AZ, we wore Kerry T-shirts and buttons. We registered everyone, whether they were in "our" party or not. They knew where we stood on the election, we often didn't know where they stood. I know I registered a few Republicans. One even joked that he couldn't trust me to turn in his registration. I got quite testy and said that I was an ethical person and I would send it in. He knew I was, probably based on the fact that I was so open about being a Kerry supporter. I wasn't trying to be opportunistic or manipulative with my job. The folks below were, and that tells me that the Republican party is desparate.

I heard Newt Gingrich on the Sean Hannity radio show. He was saying that Kerry is lying about the draft, social security, and that they are using fear and racism/race-bating to get votes. Wow, its so amazing that he is labeling Kerry with exactly what Bush and the RNC is doing (Condi Rice has now been sent to swing states to give election speeches). I guess when Kerry tells the truth, he's lying in Bush's neocon world. That makes sense actually, the truth is a lie in a world where lies are sold as reality.

Campaign 2004: Voter registration workers cry foul
Wednesday, October 20, 2004 By Dennis B. Roddy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
An ostensibly nonpartisan voter registration drive in Western Pennsylvania has triggered accusations that workers were cheated out of wages and given instructions to avoid adding anyone to the voter rolls who might support the Democratic presidential nominee...

"If they were a Kerry voter, we were just supposed to walk away," said Michael Twilla, of Meadville, who said he has been paid for only eight of 72 hours he worked. Twilla provided the Post-Gazette with a copy of the script he said he had been given. It instructs the canvassers to hand unregistered Bush supporters a clipboard with a registration form, and to advise them the canvassers will personally deliver the forms to the local courthouse. A lower portion of the form also advises the canvassers to ask undecided voters two questions: "Do you consider yourself pro-choice or pro life?" and "Are you worried about the Democrats raising taxes?" If voters say they are pro-life, the form says, "Ask if they are registered to vote. If they are pro-choice, say thank you and walk away."

The form also tells canvassers, "If anyone asks who you are working for, it's 'Project America Vote.' "

No comments: