Thursday, January 05, 2006

Beware of the war on whatever

In regard to the post below, I meant to point out that only a fearmonger would frame small issues and problems with events as a "WAR on Christmas." It's a cynical and conscious attempt to generate fear and hatred in people. No one I know would be offended by being wished Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays (Jew, Christian, Muslim or Buddhist). Any wish is meant kindly, for G_D's sake. And again, as I mentioned in Who's Stroking Your Holiday (below), who cares who Sears and KMart markets to? Isn't Christmas about Christ's birth?

I've been noticing that a lot of conservatives use bullying tactics in their communication, like "You should," "People should," "This is how it is," and liberals tend to use "I" or non-offensive language, like "I worry that..." "I feel that..." "I think that..." It's fascinating and reflects our different philosophies on life and human relationships (I must admit, I was more like a conservative in my first marriage--shudder).

Peace,
Urban Pink

No comments: